The physiotherapist should see the accommodating as anon as the accommodation for anaplasty has been fabricated and a date for anaplasty has been booked. In adjustment to codify an adapted post-operative rehabilitation program, and to analyze concrete aspects that could advance afore surgery, the afterward will be evaluated:
• Strength of the high and lower extremities
• Range of motion (ROM) of the spine
• Exercise tolerance
• Functionality apropos activities of circadian active (AODL)
• Social factors
• Medical factors that could potentially prolong rehabilitation
The accommodating will accept an exercise program, aimed at deepening the high and lower extremities and abdominal/back stabilizers, accretion exercise altruism and convalescent pulmonary action above-mentioned to surgery.
The accommodating will additionally be accomplished apropos the rehabilitation affairs and some adjustments he/she could accomplish at home above-mentioned to surgery, in adjustment to accomplish things easier thereafter.
Goals of treatment:
1. Education of accommodating apropos appropriate precautions and rehabilitation period
2. Decreasing the accident of abysmal venous occlusion (DVT) and pulmonary array (PE)
3. Strengthening of abdominal/back muscles
4. Early mobilization and amble training
5. Maximizing anatomic cachet apropos AODL
6. Promoting assumption mobility
Day 0 or 1 Post-Operatively (Depending on time of surgery)
- Physiotherapist will amusement accommodating 2x/day.
- Precaution: Wear lumbar brace as assigned by surgeon, if applicable.
- Restricted flexion of aback for 6 weeks, with no advanced flexion/rotation combinations.
- To sit for commons and ablution only
- Log cycle in bed
- To sit up from a side-lying position, and carnality versa
- Exercises: All aural banned of pain
- Foot pump (PF/DF)
- Single knee hug
- Neural mobilization, accumulation beeline leg accession (SLR)
- Bridging (Pelvic lifts with channelled knees, anxiety on bed)
- Abdominal balance contractions
- Small amplitude belly crunches
- Back deepening with contra-lateral arm and leg push-downs
- Abdominal breath exercises
Patient will accept a advancement with contest on (see addition ‘Lumbar Microdiscectomy, Post-op’), and should do the contest 3X per day.
Instructions apropos log rolling and transfers (in bed, bed to chair, and action to toilet) will be given.
Ambulation: The accommodating will be issued a walking aid if needed, and will be encouraged to airing as abundant as he/she is able to tolerate.
Day 2 Post-Operatively:
Exercises: Same as day 1.
Ambulation: Increase ambit as able. Re-evaluate the charge of a walking aid. Climbing of stairs if able.
Day 3 Post-Operatively till Discharge:
- Exercises: As day 1 and 2, access repetitions.
- Ambulation: Access ambit and abundance of walking.
- Climbing of stairs as able.
Discharge – 4 weeks Post-Operatively:
Patient will be provided with an exercise affairs to abide with at home, at atomic 3 times per day. He/she will be brash to airing frequently and to steadily access the distance. The accommodating should lie bottomward if the aback feels annoyed or painful.
The patient’s ancestors should be accomplished apropos the akin of abetment the accommodating will charge back he/she allotment home.
Patients with a continued history of weakness and boundless affliction may accept to appear hydrotherapy on an out-patient basis. They will be brash to accomplish an arrangement as anon as the anguish has healed and the stitches accept been taken out.
4 – 6 weeks Post-Operatively:
Patient is encouraged to airing for best distances and to ascend stairs as exercise. If there are no complications or disproportionate pain, the accommodating may do ablaze abode work
Patient will abide with a circadian exercise regime, and should be able to do best AODL after difficulty. Usually no walking aid is all-important at this stage.
The accommodating may sit for 4 – 6 hours per day.
6 weeks Post-Operatively:
If there were no complications afterward anaplasty the accommodating should be able to drive a car at 6 weeks column surgery.
Patient should be walking after any aid, and AODL should be performed after difficulty.
The accommodating should abide with a circadian exercise administration to strengthen muscles, advance ROM and advance endurance. At this point, the accommodating may charge an out-patient arrangement with a physiotherapist to abridge a abiding exercise plan. If the accommodating capital to acknowledgment to action or any added action he/she acclimated to accomplish above-mentioned to surgery, the physiotherapist will appraise the accommodating and accommodate a sport-specific rehabilitation plan.
This Protocol is to serve as a guideline only. Each case should be adjourned alone and analysis agreement should be adapted area necessary.
Incoming search terms:
- microdiscectomy protocol physical therapy
- physical therapy after microdiscectomy
- microdiscectomy therapy protocol
- advanced protocol for microdiskectomy procedure
- microdisectomy post op rehabilitation protocols
- protocol after microdisectomy
- protocol for microdiscectomy
- PT protocol for lumbar microdisectomy